Our new client, Patrick Gould, Esq., was very interested about working with somebody who could get him into the mobile publishing delivery of his law school bar review business. When I met him at the Chicago Book Expo America, we had a good conversation about what he does and what he wanted to do. I really appreciated Patrick’s approach to getting the best possible app for his needs. In fact, I wanted to write this article so that other prospective clients can see how one should go about finding a mobile application developer with whom you can do business.
First of all, Patrick hired a technical person to interview prospective app developers to see which one did exactly what he needed done for his needs. After I talked with this person, Patrick was pleased with the information he got about us, and we moved into the specifics of his business needs. Any good business person always knows the competition, and Patrick was no exception. The other deliverers of bar training materials, including some multi-million dollar outfits like Kaplan, had some very poor ratings for their apps. Most of the problems had to do with the syncing problem and the video loading problems inside the apps.
Therefore, I explained to Patrick that this was an excellent time for him to move into the market with the best app to deliver his materials to the students in the best way possible. Social marketing is vital to the life of a business predicated upon technology and the delivery of educational content. I told Patrick that his new business app would not have a problem with the syncing of materials to the user’s mobile device because our app doesn’t allow local access of files. The user must be connected to the Internet to use the Embellisher™ Mobile Publishing app. This provides the user with instant syncing with the educational materials, and, most importantly, the materials cannot be stolen. Our product is not strictly an app, it is a so-called “web app”. In other words, users do not install the app from a Playstore but instead visit a website which is optimized for mobile phone usage. The user must be logged into the app and connected to the Internet in order to be able to use the materials. The video problems are alleviated with our app by installing the videos on Vimeo and then embedding the video inside an eBook using our ePub3 Creator Studio. Whenever the video is uploaded into the app, it will have a problem with loading when the user tries to view the video. Because we “stream” the video from Vimeo’s server, there is no loading needed. Also, we don’t use YouTube because of the advertisements that get placed inside the videos and interrupt the viewing enjoyment. Hackers do this to increase revenue, but we don’t want our users being side-tracked by some other company’s ads.
Patrick purchased our Turnkey Installation for $250. He also needed a Php-enabled website, so we sold him that also, with the domain name of GouldBarReview.com included, for $100.00.
Finally, we worked with Patrick to show him how to use his new app and the creator studio that comes with it. We set-up a one-on-one webinar to show him the steps required to create a simple ePub3 eBook, embed a video, and include other teaching materials for his students. In addition, we instructed him on the use of the Administrative side of the app where he can price his courses and even include coupon discounts. Finally, we explained to him that because he has licensed our top-of-the-line installation, he will be able to expand his business in the future by allowing other instructors to have their own courses to sell inside his app. In other words, each instructor can have his/her own Administrator login and creator studio account, and Patrick can collect a fee from the instructor for using it. In other words, only the Embellisher™ Mobile Publishing platform allows for expanding into the publishing and education business. In fact, entire school districts use our app to do this, allowing each teacher to have his/her own Administration account.
Before I schedule your installation, and a webinar to instruct you about how to use your new app and studio, we need the following from you:
- 1. Final approval on the logo you want to use.
- 2. A photo of you to be used on the welcome page.
- 3. A short description of what you want the student to know on the welcome page.
Also, I wanted to get more technically into why your app will be far superior to the ones that are downloaded from the Google Play and iTunes websites.
- Since our product is not technically an “app” (meaning it requires all the proprietary coding of the big companies), it is better streamlined into what’s called a “web app.” A web app allows our developer to create a platform that syncs content smoothly across all mobile devices, including cell phones. Most importantly, because our web app requires a connection to the Internet in order for the student to use it, it has a security system far superior to Google Play, iTunes or Amazon apps. eBooks inside the Embellisher™ cannot be copied or downloaded to a local file, and only a single page loads inside the eReader at a time.
- In addition, the videos and other interactive content will instantly stream inside your web app because you’ll be embedding the code from a superior streaming service: Vimeo. Vimeo is a better streaming service than YouTube because hackers aren’t able to insert their ads inside your video to distract the viewers. This is why your videos will load immediately, as opposed to the instructional videos inside the Kaplan or other big company bar review apps.
- Finally, because you’ll be social or what’s called “pull marketing,” you need a content delivery platform that is the most flexible. Having a web app is the best way to keep your students coming back to a place that will keep a complete database of their materials, and their personal information remains secure and in one location.
Please let me know about the three items, so I can schedule our installation on your new web app domain, GouldBarReview.com and our online instructional “show and tell.”